Tuesday, March 30, 2010

the doorbell rings

I hate it when the doorbell rings.  In the last 7 days, I have had 4 random doorbell ringers: 3 magazine subscription sellers and one city building inspector.  Sounds like it shouldn't be a big deal, and it shouldn't, but for some reason it causes several tiny moments of panic for me.  Here's how it goes down in our house when the doorbell rings:  First, it's the dog barking before the ring.  (Have you heard a beagle bark!?)  I try to get the dog to calm down, not knowing why he's barking.  Second, the actual DING DONG!  The baby starts to cry at this point because of the barking and the ring.  Then, Will is napping and wakes up crying (yes, all 3 magazine sellers came at 2:30-3:30-naptime).  Now, I look in the mirror on my way to the door - I have not showered in 2 days, no make-up, 4 new blemishes I just picked at, and a stained shirt and dirty sweatpants.  "God, I hope it's not a new neighbor wanting to meet us!"  Finally, while holding the crying baby Mason and trying to block the door so the whining 2 year old William doesn't escape, I open the door.  Porter, the beagle, barks and jumps as I explain that he's a nice dog and won't hurt whomever is standing on the porch...no, I haven't even looked to see WHO the visitor is.  Finally, they realize that they'd better spit out why they're here, cause I won't make it much longer.  They give the quick version...I have found that the chaos sometimes helps in their acceptance of my initial "No, I'm not interested.  Thanks for stopping"  which is nice - although still a whole uproar that I wish never happened.  My feeling overwhelmed does not stop there.  Once the visitor is gone, I shut the door, blocking out the cries as best as I can, I turn around and I see what the visitor saw - bummer...I look really bad...again.  Laundry from the day before piled on the couch, toys blanket the floor, the ironing board is out (had good intentions), snacks and sippy cups on the coffee tables and whatever else I had going on that day.  Then, I realize, they're gone...who cares!  That is until it happens again the next time.  Will I ever get my act together!?  I'm not sure.

3 comments:

  1. This is all too real for me! :) (minus the barking dog). Great blog Jacki!! Kandyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. doorbell blocker!

    http://www.inventiveparent.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=SLEPBLBL

    Thanks, Laura!

    ReplyDelete