Friday, August 19, 2011

What!? You Use Cloth Diapers!? yep.

First, I want to say - I am not that hardcore, although I do believe in cloth - I will still be your friend if you use disposable diapers!  I did for my first child and still do on occasion.  Now that we know we can still be friends...here goes.

I receive inquiries sporadically on using cloth diapers and have re-written emails several times trying to sum up little issues, the washing, or even the whole deal – from surface inquiries to cloth converts with specific questions – so here, I’ll lay it ALL out.  First, the benefits, and if you like that, then you can keep reading…
THE BASIC GOOD STUFF
Personally, I tried cloth because I had two long lost high school friends who were using cloth and I found out on Facebook – yes, Facebook.  I know.  But, I’m glad I did and I’m glad I asked about it and they were willing to help.  I’ve found that it’s very green and healthy for all in the family.  There are chemicals in disposable diapers that are toxic to your baby and the environment, have caused chemical burns on baby bottoms, aggravate asthma, etc.  I mean, diapers are necessary, but who actually wants a diaper made of woodpulp, packed with chemicals and finished with plastic?  Not to mention what we already know about decomposition time in our earth (makes me think of Wall-E).  In addition to the ‘green’ factor…we save a bunch of money…well, a bunch for us anyway!  More pros: In two years, we’ve had about 3 diaper rashes (which is very few for any 1st time moms out there) in the cloth.  We have had 0 leaks in the car on long car trips.  With our first babe in disposables, the piddle pad in the car was essential, then we’d have to wash the pad, the clothes, etc.  I don’t even pack a backup outfit for Mason, cause he doesn’t leak or blowout!  Ever had a blowout of poo up the back of your babe yet?  If not, you will.  Never in our cloth, frequent in the disposables.  I’m not saying it’s not possible, but much tougher for anything to escape the elastic of the bumGenius.  Another bonus is that they can be used as a swim diaper.  I hate disposable swim diapers and having to have different diapers on hand.  Just remove the absorbent insert from your cloth diaper and go!  Plus, they look cute!  People are always surprised when they get a close look at the diapers - first on how much easier they are to use than they thought, then on how cute they are.  I think so too.


STILL INTERESTED?
Let me start by saying, there are many different kinds of cloth diapers, and I'm sure all are great - but I've read and heard the best reviews from bumGenius users, so - that's what I initially purchased, currently use and love!  So, here’s my experience mixed with the basic info on cloth diapering.  I’ve been at it for close to 2 years now and it’s been great.  I just ordered an entire new set (in GIRL colors this time!!) because I think they’re so cute.  I could keep using my 2 year old diapers, but I’m so excited for baby girl, that I had to get some pink!  Specifically, I’m talking about using the bumGenius, One Size pocket diapers – bumGenius 3.0 & 4.0’s – you can choose velcrow or snap closures.  The snaps are now the same color as the diaper, not white.  I will put links to a bunch of cloth diaper gear ordering and info sites at the end of this entry.
BASIC USE & INFO:
Most of my friends and I find that the diapers are a little too bulky until the babe is at least 10 pounds.  I started using them at 7 weeks when Mason was 12lbs...still a little bulky, but they rocked Pampers.  After a few months, they’re a great fit, and by 1 year old, they sag LESS than disposables, so they look trimmer!  Just the other day, I laughed when I saw a disposable saggin' & swingin' back and forth between a bay's legs!  Anyway!  The diapers come in a little one-pack bundle; you get the diaper shell/liner (the cute outer layer), the regular insert and an additional smaller insert.  The small insert is good for infants and to add to the regular insert for more absorbency if you have a super soaker baby like we do.  The small insert is referred to as a 'doubler' in cloth diaper lingo.  So, you get one full diaper set for $17.95 (or less on the buy 5 get one free sales).  Pricey, but worth it as it will last through potty training!  I found that 24 is the perfect number of diapers to keep on hand.  Every 2-3 days, I wash.  I ordered 4 at a time til I was comfortable with the amount I owned.  It was a little tough to determine if I liked them or could commit to using them when I only had a few at a time, but in order to afford it and 'test' them, I felt that was the way I had to do it.  I tested with the first 4 which was a good number for trial, but I just hated washing only 4 diapers (can't wash anything else with them).  But, we liked them, they were cute, they were healthy, so we dove in and became the crazy cloth diapering people.  How you go about this is clearly your call!



As far as daycare goes - they are just like disposables, in that after they're dirty, you can just fold/roll them up (like you would to throw away any disposable) and put it in your dirty diaper bag ('wet bag' in cloth lingo; $8-20 depending on size & brand) and that's it.  At the end of the day, you just pick up the dirty bag along with little Billy and bring new the next day.  This portable wet bag is also what you would use on shopping trips, etc in your diaper bag.  Often times, I don't even bring mine because rolling up the diaper is good enough.


At home, you keep a diaper pail; basically a regular 13 gallon kitchen garbage can with a lid (I think ours was $12).  For a liner, you use a cloth diaper wet bag/diaper pail liner (about $20, depending on brand).   Don’t worry, it doesn’t smell…I often think our kitchen garbage smells much worse…and we’re fairly clean people.  So, with your dirty diapers, you have to separate them as you put them into your diaper pail at home.  Don’t freak out!  I almost never actually touch any poo.  The way the diapers are made, you can hold the diaper so you just barely pinch the insert and pull it out as you drop it into your pail.  Sometimes, you can just hold the diaper and give it a shake to drop the insert into the diaper pail.  So, toss both the diaper insert and liner (separated) into your diaper pail and close the lid.  If you have a #2 on your hands, don’t worry.  If I can’t shake it off the diaper into the toilet, it goes into the pail…no pre-rinse in the toilet required.  However, they do have this funky looking sprayer you can get for the bathroom that sprays the gunk right off for you; if you’re concerned with the poo, that’s for you.  So, with #2, it’s shake in the toilet and toss in the pail.  If you don't think these are for you, you could maybe try some that are All-In-One's (AIO’s) that you don’t need to pull the liner out of, it’s all attached to the liner.  I've never used any like that, but I'm sure there are some good ones.  Keep in mind that AIO’s often only come in specific sizes (infant, s, m, l) - I like the One Size diapers because I'll never have to buy more or other sizes and I can adjust absorbency by choosing which insert I put in the pocket.   They have snaps on the front and on the inserts that allow you to adjust the size for your growing baby.


Sidenote: You cannot use diaper rash cream with these diapers!  Cream will stain the diaper and you cannot wash it out - this can cause the diaper to lose its wicking power also, leading to leaks.  They do make thin fleece stay dry liners you can use.  They will act as a barrier for the cream and still wick the pee right through.  I used these, but am not a fan - I might use a disposable in the event of a rash - which is rare when using cloth, so it's not much of an issue.  Gob on the cream and slap on a disposable and pray for no blowouts - then, as soon as the rash starts to clear, get them back in their comfy diapers!  You'll want to!


WASHING
I’ll be brutally honest - initially, they may leak…maybe for a couple weeks.  Not even close to every time, but maybe once a day or so.  The more you wash/use them, the better they get, and the better you get at using them.  I think mine may have had a few leaks because I didn’t pre-wash them enough (only once).  So, pre-wash & dry your diapers (and inserts maybe a few times) before your first use.  If they leak a little, don’t be discouraged, it will get better.


So, when you have that first pail full of diapers to wash, you might feel clueless as I did.  But, it’s really simple once you get the hang of it.  I wash every 2-3 days, depending on use.  The easy part…  Take the whole diaper pail liner out of the pail, dump the diapers into the wash machine, and toss the pail liner in also, to be washed with the diapers.  Easy enough, right?  Then comes the tricky part that you will have to determine based on your machine, soap, etc.


Once I knew what I was doing, my regular wash pattern goes like this (our washing machine is a regular top loader, not a front loader HE machine like you fancy folks):
-Cold Wash cycle (wash w/soap & rinse)
-Hot Wash cycle (wash w/soap & rinse)
-Two cold rinse cycles
-Machine dry the diaper inserts and hang dry the diaper shells (no worries, they dry very quickly!)


You will read that you must use natural soaps on the diapers.  Anything microfiber-ish will tell you this and it’s true!  There is a list of soaps and rankings for cloth diapers (I’ll put a link at the end).  I find that Charlie’s Soap and Norwex soap work great.  You only use 1Tbsp for the first wash and about half that for the second wash so it’s not much of an expense.  The most important thing about washing is that you completely rinse all the soap out of the diapers – you should see NO BUBBLES in the final rinse of your wash routine, if you do, rinse again and lessen the amount of soap you’re using.  Don’t worry, your diapers will still get clean!  Any leftover soap residue will cause the diapers to be less absorbent and may make them stink.  Once they’re clean and dry, just put the appropriate insert into each diaper, put them in your cute little basket, and go on with your business.  It’s a good excuse to sit and watch tv for a few minutes.


After some time & use, your diapers may begin to have a musty smell regardless of how well you may be doing your regular washing routine.  It’s normal!  When you notice it, you can do several things; all of which are effective.   Add white vinegar to the second wash cycle, add some borax, use some bleach, a tablespoon of Dawn; not all at once, but try what you feel best about and add another if you’re not satisfied with the results.   Just be sure you rinse enough to get it all out.  I add vinegar to almost every hot wash and it works wonderfully.  Very rarely do I use bleach…but I’ve read that it is recommended if you have an issue (it won’t fade your cute diapers).  After this ‘stripping’ wash, your diapers will be fresh again.  The diapers are still bright colors and the insides of them are still bright white (no stains)…it’s kind of amazing.


Well, I think that’s it!  


Needless to say, I really like them and it’s something I feel good about using and using less of the alternative.  Rarely, I curse the load of laundry, but then I think of the $$ I'm saving for the 10 minutes of laundry & diaper stuffing twice a week.  It does take a little commitment and I can see why not everyone wants to do it - but, it's not nearly as hard or gross as I initially thought.  I figure it takes about 5 months to start getting in the black on the cost of 24 diapers.  That gives you at least 19 months of not having to pay for pampers.  I figure about $80/month on diapers…more when you have 2 in diapers, like we will soon!  The water/electric bills, I’ve read may go up less than $5, but I’ve never tried to track that myself.  The soap is inexpensive and now I use it on all our laundry (especially after reading about what they put in most popular detergents).  Some people ask for some info to help convince their significant other – I found that since I committed to almost all the work, he didn’t really care what I chose.  He likes all the green factors about cloth, but I’m not sure I’d ask him to actually do the laundry!  :)  Changing a diaper is not any different from changing a disposable, so it really doesn’t affect him in any way as long as I keep doing the laundry.  I did make him at least learn how to fold them though!


Feel free to ask more questions...
Happy Diapering!


GOOD LINKS:

No comments:

Post a Comment